A living formula

If I were to express myself in an equation, I think it would look something like this:

Parker Leavitt = (3x² + 5y³) + (z+t)/e + E^db

Where ...

x = inherited paternal genes,
y = inherited maternal genes,
z = influences from friends and peers,
e = personal experience,
t = education and instruction from teachers and other authority figures,
d = past decisions and their consequences,
E = environment, AND
b = my belief system

Now, that is not, of course, an entirely accurate or comprehensive representation of everything that has made me who I am today. But it's a start.

Do I have a point to all this? I think so.

I was thinking recently: Is it possible that all of one's behavior, choices, opinions and perspective are a direct result of an equation like the one I listed above?

An input is made when something, anything happens. The event is processed through the equation, and the output is the person's reaction.

What do you think? Could a person, theoretically speaking, be reduced to a formula, albeit one much more complex than mine listed above?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about pure spur of the moment emotion or anger or desire to keep people on their toes or lack of caffeine in the morning or the impact of new love on one's actions? The formula could be used to predict, but might not be even as reliable as las vegas bookies. Then again, the formula could be used to predict a general direction, i would think.

PSLeavitt said...

Well, the need for caffeine or a new love would be part of the equation. But the spontaneity you speak of might not. But that's my question. Is anything really spontaneous? What appears to be spur-of-the-moment emotion could actually just be another product of the formula...

Post a Comment