One last peek over my shoulder

This year has certainly been the most eventful 365 days of my life. My circumstances, my priorities and my goals are much different than on Jan. 1.

In January, I was living in the ASU dorms in downtown Phoenix and breezing through school. Unexpectedly, I found myself in a long-distance relationship that only lasted halfway through March. Overall, I had few real responsibilities and a lot of extra time for late-night IHOP runs, RockBand2 marathons and countless other shenanigans fueled by 20 oz energy drinks.

The first half of 2009 was just ridiculously fun.

Then the summer brought a full-time business reporting position at The Arizona Republic through the Pulliam Fellowship. I moved into an apartment in Tempe with a couple guys from my church. I still found time for fun and recreation, but most of my energy went toward my job.

In August, I transitioned from a full-time Pulliam Fellow to a part-time community intern, working out of the Republic's Mesa office. Just two weeks later, the phone on my desk rang, and I was offered a full-time job. Technically, I slept on it, but I knew I would accept. I love Arizona and am happy to have a job here.

But there was that little matter of graduation that still needed attending to. Most of my classes were demanding and difficult. My once happy-go-lucky lifestyle disappeared, and it became increasingly difficult to balance my job and full slate of classes. I decided to buy a house with my parents' assistance, but this just added another stress variable to the already-crowded equation. In November, an uninsured teenager turned in front of me and smashed the front of my car. Seriously. C'mon dude.

December finally brought the conclusion to many of the trials that were beginning to weigh me down. I graduated. I fixed my car. I can finally relax a little, and I'm starting to find myself again.

But I'm certainly not the same "self" I was in January. And that's good. Each year should bring progression and growth. And that just isn't possible without a struggle of some sort.

Before 2009, I think '04 was the year during which I'd grown the most. In 2004, I became an adult, graduated from high school, started college, and received a mission call to South Korea.

What will 2010 bring? I cannot say, but I really can't wait to find out.

Happy New Year!

1 comments:

Travis Butterfield said...

dude. your blog is suffering from serious neglect.

Post a Comment