My name is Who

"Know Thyself"

Self-definition, I think, is a lifelong process, rather than a destination. For me, this is a frustrating concept. It's difficult for me to know myself, and therefore know what's best for myself, when that "self" is constantly changing.

Over the course of the last month or so, I've had to make a lot of important decisions. When you're 23, it seems like every decision is colossal. I've had to make choices regarding my career, buying a home, dating, and finances. I guess when it rains, it pours.

In each of these decisions, I'd like to make the best possible choice for myself. Pick a job I can be passionate about and find a home that's nice, but within my budget. Date someone who's a good match for me.

But should I make these choices based on who I am right now, today? Because that's destined to change soon. Should I look to my past, at who I've been before? Or should I try and predict the future, and make decisions on what I'm likely to become?

It's just two words, but to "know thyself" isn't as easy as it sounds.

0 comments:

Post a Comment